I’m in a weird creative place right now. I want to call it a downswing, but I’ve been too creatively productive (on the Other Genre) with wordage to be able to claim such. Also, I’ve been working ahead on my 2yn15 project, which is fantasy; in part because of my possible jury duty next month but also because I’m having fun and wanting to work on it.

Currently, I’m stuck on exercise 9. In week 9, we’re supposed to figure out what would bribe our character to stop pursuing their goal. I have this figured out for Khamu (whose goal is to reunite with Shi’u), but I’m having difficulty figuring out what would bribe Shi’u. As I see it, things are going to gradually be taken away from him over time. And no, I can’t make it something like “be reunited with Khamu” because Khamu is the one keeping them separated—there’s something operating on his end of the separation which he feels he can’t break free of. Shi’u’s primary goal is to reconcile the Palace with the Temple, and Khamu is actually only a small part of what’s preventing this happening, so using him to bribe Shi’u probably wouldn’t work very well. Not only would Shi’u not be inclined to back down on his stance, but Khamu actually agrees with him and would stand with him and not do anything to convince Shi’u otherwise.

So, I’ve got a nice little corner for myself.

In addition to working ahead on the 2yn15 course, I’ve been conlanging to name my characters. This is a somewhat functional conlang, because I’m creating names like Einpaokhis-Nrn-Thmousisal. I decided that since I’m lifting a fair amount of the background for Mukhamutara from Ancient Egypt, I’d go the extra mile to create names that approximate names from Ancient Egypt as well. To create this language, I went to a names site that happened to have a list of Ancient Egyptian names and picked out the various letters and letter combinations which went into Ancient Egyptian names. I came up with a little over 100 such letters and combinations and use them as a sort of alphabet to create the names.

Of course, some of the names sound mixed up or from other cultures, but I am using a base “alphabet” for them, so at least things will be somewhat uniform. What I do to create a name is formulate a name in English (She-Was-Born-With-Sorrows), then I create the different words, which sometimes requires conjugation: She-Was-Born became Einpaokhis = einp (past tense: was) + aokh (born) + is (she). Once I have the rest of the name (in this case, Nrn-Thmousisal = With-Sorrows), I ensure all the name components are entered in a master dictionary, then add the full name to a master glossary for the translation before writing the Mukhamutaran version in place of the English version on the Character List and choosing a nickname for the character (in this case, Thmousisali). After deciding that Mukhamutarans habitually add the base gender suffix (i = female; u = male; o = neuter/indeterminate) to the nickname, I take a little time figuring out which word from the name sounds best with the base gender suffix. It is, in Mukhamutara, seen kind of as a diminutive as well, like -let or -kin in English.

Yes, it’s a bit involved, but I’m enjoying this. Most of the time, my name creation doesn’t involve meanings of the names, so I’m having fun with this.